Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sandy on Embracing 40! (Happy Belated Birthday Sandy!)

Embracing 40

Well, more accurately, 42, but shhhh, don’t tell anyone. 

One day last week was my birthday.  I went into the Works at 5:30am to start my day, and much to my surprise, I was greeted with a “Happy Birthday”.  I was very surprised and delighted that my co-workers were actually going out of their way to track me down to wish me a happy birthday and even give me warm hugs.  I was even more surprised and completely humbled when my friend Susan from the Fitworks program brought me a gift!   

 I have finally defined myself, who I want to be in this world, and what I want to do.  I opened my eyes to all the beauty and kindness that surrounds me.  I couldn’t see it all for a long time because when you dwell on self pity, be it because of age, or aches and pains, then your eyes tend to focus on all the little negatives.  And trust me, there are plenty of negatives that will creep in if you’re in a negative place.
I am overwhelmed by the feeling of gratitude.  I am thankful for my job and all the wonderful people who surround me.  I get a wonderful feeling of kindness and acceptance from fellow employess, and from some of the patrons as well. 

I could sit and dwell in self pity for all the things I have yet to accomplish (and every so often I do) though when I sit back and really take a good look at the big picture I have to say that I am a very lucky lady.  I have my health, I have wonderful friends, I have a fun job and a terrific family.  Life is a journey and we should embrace every day , being grateful for the gifts we are given in one form or another.  We all have so many things to be thankful for, we just need to open our eyes and take a good look. 

Fall is right around the corner, the biggest season of change.  Embrace it my friends, make plans, and set your goals.  It is my favorite time of year and always inspires me to start new things.  I believe it is the perfect time to set short term goals that are to be reached before the end of the year.
It is also a time to set ourselves into high gear with our workouts to prevent the hibernation weight from creeping on.  Buckle up folks, because its going to be a cold one this year.  Don’t let the weather keep you from staying healthy.


As always I wish you the best, and I hope to see you around.   


No comments:

Post a Comment