Friday, July 11, 2014

Jesse: Nature in the Summer

Summertime, summertime. So many wonderful things to do during the summer.

One of my favorite activities (aside from going to the gym, obviously) is spending time in nature, hiking or camping.

Unfortunately, in recent years, the time in nature has been put on the back burner. I used to make sure I went hiking at every opportunity, now it is tough trying to find an opportunity. I partly blame it on school (which takes an enormous amount of my free time up) but I also blame it on myself for filling my schedule up with stuff that isn’t as important as connecting with Mother Earth.
That problem is slowly getting better. As part of my goals that I set for myself this year I wanted to make sure I connect more often. Although, I haven’t been on any big hikes this year (yet!), I have found a way of connecting two goals, hiking and improving my fitness.
I didn’t know until this year that there are an abundance of trails in our area (from Berwick to Barrington) that may not necessarily lead to a peak but still get us away from the pavement and the speedway of life.

Less than 2 miles down the road from my house is a short 2.2 mile round trip trail at the William H. Champlin Jr. Forest. It’s very nice, not heavily used and most importantly (for me) kind of easy to run.
I have done this run (jog…..) a half a dozen times so far and it’s amazing. The first couple times I used head phones, but now I go out there without headphones and listen to the busy life of the woods creatures.  It is actually pretty therapeutic, kind of like a quiet time to gather up my thoughts. Plus I feel like I am connecting with nature a little more, which makes me one happy guy.


See you at the gym! (If not, then I am probably on that trail :)…..or doing homework :( )


No comments:

Post a Comment