Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Sandy: Have you heard, "I'm bored, I don't want to do this…"

If you’re a parent, then you’ve probably heard this from your children before.  “I’m bored, I don’t want to do this, I don’t want to do that” then the second you turn your head their noses are pressed against screens, be it the TV, an IPad, a smart phone, or some other type of electronic mind numbing media.  Sure, it’s easy to turn your head because at least they are quiet, not complaining, or fighting (unless they have to share, then that’s a whole other story.) 

However, before long, your deep seeded guilt and anger surfaces because you know that their little bodies deserve more than that, they need to get up and move. 

Well my friends, I have the answer.  Today I took my children kids to the pool at the Works (the indoor pool, because I didn’t want to have the sunscreen battle), and I finally scheduled them for the Fit Spot Orientation.  All I can say is:

 “Why on Earth did I wait this long to get them in there?!”

The Fit Spot provides a fun, safe environment for kids that mixes physical activity with a side of video gaming.  The best part is that they remain physically active the whole time they are in there, and they are having fun while they are doing it.
 
My children began their journey by testing their strength on the lifting machines.  They loved it, because they recorded their strength, so that the next time they visit they can see if they can improve over time.  Once they completed their workout they earned their right to “Play the games” which was “sneaky” fun.  I say sneaky because a lot of the games keep them moving and their heart rates up, without them really knowing that they were working out at the same time as playing their beloved video games. 

At the end of the allotted hour, they didn’t want to leave, and they were asking me when they could go back again.  I’m excited to have this new avenue for them, AND to have a great opportunity to work out for an hour without the guilt of leaving them with a babysitter, or in a place that may not be very exciting for them. 

One less excuse for me to not get to the gym.   

Fit Spot is a FREE option for our young Members!  Here's how it works:   
For Ages 8 – 14.  To guarantee your spot you must register by 3:30pm of the day you wish to come in.  After 3:30pm we will take walk-ins only as space is available.  Space is not guaranteed without pre-registration.  Orientation is required before a child can participate.  Pre-registration is required for an orientation. There is a two child limit per orientation time offered. 

Sign up at the Program Desk/Service Desk or call 742-2163.  Check us out on our website!   


No comments:

Post a Comment