Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sandy: The Body Gem Experience

The Body Gem Experience

This is one of those services where you say to yourself, “Now why isn’t everyone doing this?”

Body Gem is a little machine that you have to breathe into for 5-7 minutes.  You have to fast at least 4 hours prior to your appointment, and you have to have been inactive, so it is best to schedule this appointment for first thing in the morning. 

The hardest part for me was to breathe into the little machine slowly and calmly because I fidget and talk…a lot.  I was prepared though.  I knew it was coming.  I had to put the foam nose plugs on, close my eyes and just relax, listening to my breath. 

Much to my surprise, the Body Gem data that came back informed me that my resting metabolic rate (the calories I need just to survive) was a lot higher than I ever expected.  Translation?  I’ve been trying to eat far too little. 

I use my fitness pal, and have found that I am constantly hungry and frustrated when I try to reach the generalized “goal” for the day.  What I have been doing is actually slowing my metabolism down because I am not getting enough of the right foods.

Christina took the time to explain all the numbers to me and break them down into layman’s terms for me. 

This information goes hand in hand with the work I am doing with my Trainer / Registered Dietitian Penny, who built out an easy to follow rule of thumb diet custom fit just for me. 


Now there is no guesswork.  My biggest challenge at this point is getting out of my own emotional eating habit, though I’m sure with practice it will come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment