Saturday, February 22, 2014

True Grit- Trying Zumba



So I finally got off my duff to get to the gym.  Don’t get me wrong, I do love working out, and when I get to the gym I get focused and can stay for hours.  However I have been a sloth for so long, it’s hard to break out of the lazy trend.  They say that a body in motion stays in motion, what they don’t tell you is that you need to get the ball rolling with consistency, over time. 

I went to the Works and asked the delightful young lady behind the desk what she would recommend for classes.  Since I’m new to the gym she recommended Zumba.  Needless to say, it’s been a long time. I believe the last time I took a group fitness class was 10 years ago. 

Right off the bat, I can see that this class is a popular one.  The attendees of this class are varied and I’m relieved to see that ALL levels are welcome.  The instructor is bright, expressive and fun. 
I am standing behind two ladies who OBVIOUSLY know what they are doing, and as the music begins they are all off and moving.  I am impressed by the instructor, who is able to make her arms and hips flow with the music.  It’s easy to pick out the regulars as they seem to know what to expect next.   The newbies, like me, desperately watch the instructors every move, feeling and looking rather robotic as we maneuver across the room.   I, personally, look like Rodney Dangerfield dancing on the golf course in Caddy Shack (I’m dating myself here).

This is an awesome class to remind you not to take yourself too seriously.  As I fumbled thru the steps the laughter just welled up inside me, bubbling over as I knew how goofy I probably looked.  It is fun to feel free and be a little silly.  I would recommend this class for anyone who needs a lift of spirit. 
I was told that I needed to try all the Zumba classes since they all vary, and I certainly will over time.  I look forward to seeing you there.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment