Wednesday, March 5, 2014

True Grit- Small Goals and Keeping Track with Sandy


Isn’t if funny how quickly time flies by? 

The day I joined The Works I passed the poster for the Physique Challenge, then I passed it again, then I stood in front of it for many minutes.    This is typical Sandy.   I see something fantastic and I want to jump in with both feet to try it out, which I think is the reason why I have deflated and “failed” so often on my attempts to get fit and healthy.  Too much too soon, too overwhelmed and finally giving up because I’ve taken on too much.

When the start date began for the Physique Challenge,  I hung my head and slunk away in shame.  I had to face the reality that I’m not there and I’m not ready to take such a huge leap of faith. 
After a few days I felt better about my decision.  I am finding that getting a workout in 3-4 times a week has proven to be simpler than I had thought.  I’ve started swimming again too, which I believe is one of the best total body workouts a person can get.   It’s easy to find fun workouts to try, and there are so many to choose from!

Working out is easy, cleaning up my diet on the other hand has proven to be a much more difficult challenge.  I’m sure I’m not alone when I say the words “Emotional Eater”.  And I know that a lifelong habit of using food to subdue ALL of my emotions is not going to be changed in a single day.
I have to start journaling and being honest about what goes into my body,  but there is something about putting your food down on paper.  It’s like confessing to a crime against your own body.  If you don’t write it down you can allow yourself to forget the extra two handfuls of nuts, or the big spoonful of Nutella or whatever your binge food of choice is. 

Not keeping track is just another form of DENIAL!  

I’m very lucky that Lent is beginning on Wednesday because as a family, this year we are all in agreement to give up sweets. 

I will be starting the 21-Day Sugar Detox on Wednesday, which I’m actually looking forward to, because I’m giving up sugar for a Higher Purpose not just because I want to.  I know I will look and feel better in the long run once I’ve kicked this terrible addiction.  I think my children need a break from sugar too, although their changes will not be as drastic. 
I will let you know about my trials and challenges during this time, as well as my experiences at the gym.  Thank you for reading!  Hope to see you at the Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment