Thursday, December 19, 2013

Breaking Bad... Habits


11.16.13 

Lisa is having surgery. 

I am on my own for one week. 

Thank goodness there are a ton of classes to fill my time! I so wanted to bail today. You know those days where you just don’t wanna. I did want to curl up on the couch in my sweats and drink another cup of coffee. But I didn’t want to leave the house. I didn’t want to sweat. I didn’t want to work hard. But as fate would have it I do not cancel unless I am really sick. Or laid out. So there I went off to work out with Lisa. And it did go by fast-ish. And it wasn’t super awful.

My husband came home from the gym deflated. “I’ve been loyal this working out 3 days a week. We having been eating poorly and the scale has not moved an inch!” I am dumbstruck. “Are you lifting heavier weights?” “yes.” “Are you running faster and longer?” “Yes.” “Are your clothes fitting the same or better?” “yes.” “Do I think you are crazy sexy and have a super hot bod?” “Yes.” “Then WHY would you care what that scale says? It reflects absolutely NOTHING but a number. It only holds power if you give it power.” 

Then I feel quite proud of myself. I am elevated to a higher plain of self realization and acceptance. Me, the Buddha, and oh darn it. Practice what you preach I hear, probably Buddha, whisper in my head.  I have heard this saying a million and a half times. Now I am having to apply this to every thought that creeps into my brain. Sometimes that voice whispers the f word. And I am no longer elevated to a higher plain. Why oh why does my little brain what me to feel bad about my body? The definition of a habit is: A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition. Seriously?! That could not be a better fit. Okay they say to successfully break a bad habit you have to: replace it. 

Okay good thoughts. Check. 

I have been self worshiping quite a bit lately, if I do say so myself.  Reading a lot about habits I found this great quote:
So rather than beating yourself up over a mistake, plan for it. We all get off track, what separates top performers from everyone else is that they get back on track very quickly.

That’s what I want to do! Here we go. Back in the saddle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment