Monday, April 7, 2014

Sandy: Exercise Despite Clouds and Ice!


A Note... The sun is out today but on days that it isn't after this LOONG winter, how does a workout make you feel?  Here's Sandy on a cold, slushy day last week!


When your mood is black your workout suffers.

Last Monday was tough.  

I didn’t get to go to the gym all weekend, as we were travelling around and had lots of plans with friends and family.  I can really feel it now; if I miss a day or two at the gym, my mood goes downhill, I feel uncomfortable and restless.  So, I committed myself to getting to the gym that morning, knowing of course that my lovely accountability partner would be there. 

I woke up to the sound of ice rain falling from the sky, and when I looked outside, much to my dismay, there was at least an inch of icy slush on the ground.  This was not a good start to my day!  I am so stinking sick of winter. 

Out on the road my mood was going from bad to worse, and my motivation for working out quickly dwindling as waves of slush were thrown onto my windshield from cars passing in the opposite direction; always startling me and impeding my view.

My mood was turning from a dismal gray to an angry black, and by the time I arrived at the Works I was emotionally exhausted.  THANK GOODNESS for my partner, Jess.  She was a breath of fresh air, and she wasn’t going to let me slack.  So we set to work, and after we were done with our brutal lifting complex workout (given to us by our fabulous trainer Taz), I moved on to a Power Vinyasa Yoga Class.   It probably was just a little too ambitious for me today.  There were a lot of strength poses, twists and core work.   I’d have to say that at that point, my muscles were spent, so I totally wimped out, and at around the halfway point I actually was praying that the clock would hurry up. 
I could see that I would LOVE this class, and the challenges it offers on another day when I wasn’t already fatigued.  The instructor was great as she talked us thru the movements and adjusting attendees as necessary. 

Once that day was over, the kids were in bed, and I was about ready to rest my tired bones, I was truly thankful that I pushed myself to go to the gym and the yoga class.
When you feel like you just don’t have it in you to accomplish your workout, close your eyes and breathe, call a friend who will give you a push, or think of me.  We all have “Those” days, just know that if you can just get there… a workout just might alter your mood for the better. 

-Best wishes.

1 comment:

  1. Yay. Good job pushing yourself!! We all go through it, some don't make it and some do. You made it :)

    ReplyDelete